A catalyst for change
01. Start with a flat, lifeless lot and some plywood of similar quality.
02. Select the size of the desired installation, from XS to XL, the possibilities are endless.
03. Cut plywood into simple geometric shapes according to the patterns provided.
04. Join the pieces together with a metal angle after matching up the edges with equal dimensions. As the volumes aggregate, a landscape begins to form.
05. Fill the volumes with grass, herbs, flowers, recycling containers, light – life!
06. When summer fades, don’t be disappointed. We’ll take the plants to a deserving home or community garden. We’ll make sure your recyclables move on to serve new purposes. And we’ll clean up and package up the boards to bring it all back to life next summer.
The proposal activates vacant spaces within the urban context by creating a new artificial landscape that invites community involvement.
Through the aggregation of a series of volumes built with simple materials, the proposal organizes the site, providing a container for different uses: bench; flower, grass, herb and native planting; light box; and recycling and garbage container to name a few.
We see an opportunity to take simple materials on empty land to strengthen a community. A place to laugh with friends, discuss the neighborhood, play in idyllic surroundings, gather in guarded gardens, and grow a humble harvest. It is a catalyst for change.
A sheet of plywood?
No, a catalyst for change.
We see an opportunity to take simple materials on empty land to strengthen a community.